The Battle for Calradia!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Villages/Towns/Settlements

4 posters

Go down

Villages/Towns/Settlements Empty Villages/Towns/Settlements

Post  Arch3r Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:31 am

In a post on the Taleworlds forums I came with the idea that there will be built around 'centers'. These come in two variations, being military and economic. A village center is neutral, but more economic based. This one can upgrade to either a Keep (military center, for castles) or a Town Center (economic center). Making a new center would be done with troops that set up a camp, which can be upgraded to a village center.

These are the basics, I know that there have also been idea's to upgrade those centers to Fortress, Citadels, Palaces and others to allow for more buildings, but I think we need to start simple. Clans can only build on tiles directly or indirectly connected to those centers, indirectly meaning that the tile to be built on is connected to a tile with another building that IS (also directly or indirectly) connected to the center.
Arch3r
Arch3r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Villages/Towns/Settlements Empty Re: Villages/Towns/Settlements

Post  Nikephoros Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:11 am

It is not a bad idea.
A possible development would be to allow fortresses to "dismantle" and become Trading Settlements, of course not for free, as the "frontier" advances. And viceversa, for Trading Settlements to "fortify" if the frontiers retires.

What would be the bonuses of each kind of settlement?
Nikephoros
Nikephoros

Back to top Go down

Post  Arch3r Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:22 am

Not bonuses, but building availability. While military centers have buildings focusing on a stronger and technically more advanced army, the economic centers focus on resources and gold to supply that army.
Arch3r
Arch3r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CFR Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:52 am

I love the idea BUT, I think all buildings should be build on the one tile and you can enter the town from there, my reason is simple.

Main center + Barracks + few homes + farms = 10+ tiles
10 factions * 10 tiles = Thats 1/10 tiles gone already.
And this will keep rising fast.

My feeling is you should have the center and buildings on one tile, and the centers give tile add on bonuses. Ie a village center allows 1 outpost/gathering station to be placed on a tile adjacent to the center tile. Thus giving a town 3. This would limit the number of tiles used by a considerable amount. This would then allow towns to be expanded to any length we so wish.

This incorporates your ideas nicely.
CFR
CFR

Back to top Go down

Post  Arch3r Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:25 am

Ye, space would be the problem, we would need a HUGE map otherwise.
Arch3r
Arch3r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CFR Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:36 am

Yep hence I think this would be the best alternative option.
CFR
CFR

Back to top Go down

Post  CalenLoki Tue May 11, 2010 1:52 pm

I thought about this topic... here's my idea:

1. slots
Each tile would have 30 "slots". Each slot can be used to either build something, or gather resources from the tile - for game gathering places would also count as buildings.

2. population
Each settlement would have population [pop] (something like in civ), which can work ot settlement tile. In-game population represent those who can work, not necessary 1 pop=1 man.
Pop and soldiers [sol] are two separate types - pop are neutral.
Population grow if morale is high, and reduce if is low or if they just die. Each single pop have [1%*morale] chance to "clone", and increase total pop. so if you have 10 morale and 50 pop, statistically your pop increase to 55. If pop doesn't work, his chance to clone himself is doubled.
Also each pop or sol have chance to die [(1+danger-defence)%] minimum 1%. Dying represent desertion, bandit raids, disease, ect.

3. settlements
Tile become settlement if there is any accommodation building (castle, house, hut, tent, ect.)

4. buildings
You can build anything if you have resources and workers, but some structures build automatically, without cost - tent, hut and house (each turn one random tent/hut is upgraded per every full 20 pop)
-Buildings would have various sizes, so instead of 5 blacksmiths, you could build 1 blacksmith-size-5. Bigger buildings works better, because size 1 can employ 5 pop, and each next level add 10 pop (so 1=5, 2=15, 3=25, 4=35, 5=45.).
Settlement can have 7 resource gathering buildings - one at each tile border, and one on settlement tile.
NameCostpossible sizeEffect
Tent-1accommodation for 5 pop/sol
Hut10 wood/mud/stone, 10 work1accommodation for 10 pop/sol
House40 wood/mud/stone 40 work1accommodation for 20 pop/sol, +1 defence
Outpost40 wood/mud/stone, 40 work1accommodation for 10 pop/sol, +2 defence
Fort100 wood/mud/stone, 100 work5accommodation for 50 pop/sol, +10 defence
Castle200 stone, 100 wood, 300 work5accommodation for 50 pop/sol, +20 defence
Citadel400 stone, 200 wood, 600 work10accommodation for 75 pop/sol, +30 defence
Fence (1 edge)5 wood/stone/mud, 5 work1danger from tile beyond fence lowered by 25%
Palisade (1 edge)20 wood/stone/mud, 20 work1danger from tile beyond fence lowered by 50%
Wall (1 edge)50 stone, 50 work1danger from tile beyond fence lowered by 75%
Workshop (1 size)50 wood/mud/stone, 50 work1-5create 1 unit of 'product' from 1 unit of 'resource' per every 5 pop
Resource gathering place(1 size)various1-5create various unit of 'resource' per 1 pop
Crop field-1-5create various unit of food per 1 pop
Woodyard-1-5create various unit of wood per 1 pop
Fishing ships10 wood, 10 work1-5create various unit of food per 1 pop
Quarry-1-5create various unit of stone per 1 pop
Mud pit-1-5create various unit of mud per 1 pop
Mine10 wood, 10 work1-5create various unit of iron, gold, silver or nothing (choose randomly after creating mine) per 1 pop
Road (edge)20 work0movement always 1/2 MP(doesn't matter what terrain type)
Bridge (edge)40 wood, 60 work0as road, but over river
Harbour (edge)40 wood, 60 work2allow embarkation for 1 MP

5. defence and danger
Defence is based on buildings and troops - every 5 sol increase defence by 2. every 5 sol also increase defence of hexes that he can travel to in 0,5 turn by 1.
Danger level is based on adjacent tiles types, settlement tile type (double bonus), and population - every 20 pop increase danger by 1. so if you have settlement in forest, surrounded by 6 forest tiles, with 6 roads, no defence buildings, 8to1 pop to sol ratio, than danger level=48... statistically each turn half of your pop and sol die... Twisted Evil

6. terrain types
Terrain type decide about many things - movement speed, production and danger.
NameMovementDangerProduction per pop (stone/wood/mud/food)Other
Plain130,2/0,4/0,4/2,0
Steppe110,2/0,2/0,4/1,4
Desert110,4/0,2/0,4/0,8
MountainsImpassable10,8/0,4/0,2/0,8
Hills2 (cav 4)50,4/0,6/0,4/1,0
Forest2 (cav 4)50,2/1,2/0,4/1,0
Oasis120,4/0,4/0,8/1,6
WaterImpassable10,0/0,0/1,2/2,0
Other settlement+000
River (edge)+2-1+0,0/+0,0/+0,4/+1,0
Road (edge)1/2+1+0,2/+0,4/+0,4/+0,4

The end.
Probably forgot about something...

What do you thing?
Even if you don't like it, I just like to post my ideas Razz
And it's not too complicated - just well explained.

CalenLoki

Back to top Go down

Post  Arch3r Wed May 12, 2010 6:24 am

Sounds good, but I'm not so sure about a separate danger system and +x defence stuff. Dangers could be incorporated with population growth rather than a whole different system.
Arch3r
Arch3r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum