The Battle for Calradia!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battles!10char

3 posters

Go down

Battles!10char Empty Battles!10char

Post  Plazek Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:39 am

So I wanted to try and visualise how a battle will pan out in tbfc.
I think the below picture is fitting with things that have been decided so far. Also I hope you like some of my ideas Smile

Battles!10char Hexbattles
THE FORUM ATE HALF MY PICTURE! RIGHT CLICK AND VIEW IMAGE TO SEE IT

Also I mean to add but ran out of room. That if the red army of infantry alone fighting the purple were to win then they would have a couple choices too. Either move into the flank of the last remaining purple unit. Giving their team another tactical bonus. Or start raiding on the nearby villages.

I think a system like this could be interesting. Where the battles lines can stretch around your positions that you intend to defend and where your position relative to the enemies (assuming they have been pinned by another unit) can give you strategic advantage. It brings a whole new question of whether to focus your strength on one defencible position or to try and stop the enemy being able to get past at all. You will have to be careful not to stretch your lines too thin.

If anyone else has any related ideas as to how battles should work on the strategic level then post here!

Plazek

Back to top Go down

Battles!10char Empty Re: Battles!10char

Post  Arch3r Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:22 am

CFR said that having farms, forts, houses and other buildings all on separate tiles won't work as it would get too crowded. I guess we have to place villages on a tile and when your mouse hovers over it you can see the built buildings.

Also am I right you mixed blue and red armies up in the last part of the text? I do like the defending idea's btw, but maybe we would go as far as having armies to be in the fort to be able to defend them. We can surely test this to see how it works out though.
Arch3r
Arch3r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CFR Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:59 am

Yep with Arch3r Wink

It would over crowd the map way to fast with buildings on separate tiles.

As for the defence idea, it seems pretty neat though could be hard to balance but defo something to keep for future updates.
CFR
CFR

Back to top Go down

Post  Plazek Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:17 am

Yea I remembered that half way through.

But if we are going to be using Arch3r's city building method as he explained it before. Then there still need to be some hex within hex.

For example on the campaign map it may be all in one square but to be able to build in the city as Arch3r planned there needs to be a map within that city square.

Maybe we will have city maps and campaign maps in future games? Prob not in the earliest versions but would be nice to have in the future.

And of course you would be able to have armies inside the fort! But if you lost that battl you would be default lose the fort. If you defended it from outside then when you lost you would auto retreat to inside the fort. You see? So if you risk fighting outside yet lose you get another chance and buy perhaps another round of time to get reinforcements, even if you lose. But if you sit in your fort and lose the battle then you lose the fort. The same rule could be applied to any building.

Plazek

Back to top Go down

Post  Arch3r Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:33 am

But you mentioned that you have to me in a adjacent tile or in it to protect it, while I think you should really be in it, to protect it, otherwise you shouldn't have the fort-scene advantage IMO.
Arch3r
Arch3r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Plazek Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:52 am

Yea what I am saying is you could prevent people from getting inside and taking it fom the outside.
Defending in this situation you would have an open field battle not a fort defence battle.

With the pros and cons as I explained above.

Inside: You get the fort/farm map. But if you lose you lose the building.
Outside: You control the area so can stop people getting in but do not get to use the fort/farm map. However if you lose you can retreat inside it.

Get it?

edit:

Also I was thinking of defending units being able to "fortify" like in Civilization. This could give a number of advantages. For example giving a small positive advantage on the battle ratio. Or allowing you to choose which "open plain" map you will fight on.

For example maybe there will be a hex by a river and a hill with forest nearby too. If you are fortified you can choose where you will fight, river map/hill map/forest map. If you are not fortified then where the battle takes place can be random, or agreed by both teams. You know like how battles used to sometimes actually be planned in advance by the leaders meeting or whatever.

Of course fortifying should also have a drawback. Perhaps it takes you a turn to pack up all your gear before you can move again.

Plazek

Back to top Go down

Post  CFR Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:03 pm

maybe could make the map arrays very complex I will plan a few things on the train home tomorrow got a 3 hours journey then about 30 mins to get ready for work.... so will plan on the journey though the town hex maps would not have fog of war so would be easier though It would limit expansion as you would be limited on buildings though an idea for the future maybe.
CFR
CFR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum